Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Why I do what I do...
There are days when I wonder why I even bother to submit or create new layouts to share. There are days when I just want to give up the ghost, throw in the towel on all of it and just not scrap anymore. Don't get me wrong- I love scrapbooking and creating layouts and things to share with my family is why I keep doing it. Plus, it helps me to destress when I've had a particularly hard day at work and all I want to do is come home and get my hands dirty and fall into telling the story and forgetting all the bad stuff that is work. Don't get me wrong- I really do like my job. It's just that every day there is a bad day for someone. No one calls the police just to say 'hi.' They don't call because they want to talk to you, they call because they have to talk to you. Big difference.

And there are days when you get emails from a "friend" that tells you they've seen your name on the ScrapSmack blog and for some reason or another It seems someone just has it in for me. Making me feel bad about myself apparently makes them feel better about their own sad selves. Whatever. For once and for all, and for the record... I am not the scrapper that wants to be big and famous and a "known" name. I want to just be me: Someone who enjoys creating for the sake of creating. I share it with others because it's my hobby and that's what people do. People who take up bowling for a hobby join a league. People who sew join circles. It's all about camaraderie and sharing what you love.
So what if I've also started making jewelry? I don't want to earn a living at it, it's just something easy and portable that I can take to work with me while I am there to help pass the time. It keeps my mind occupied. Oh! And I've never once tried to be someone I am not. Whoever you are that seems to have this dislike for me to keep bringing my name up- I bet you don't even know me in real life. If you did, you'd know that I don't scrapbook/create stuff to "get famous." I do it because I enjoy it. You should really try it some time.


All of these bad days come and go...

But then there are days when life just surprises you. I got an unexpected package in the mail the other day: I got a rather heavy and big box from Memory Makers. It was my copy of the 601 book and all my layouts! I was so very lucky to have them pick up five of my pages for the book: Rejoice, M-style, Happiness, Full of Life and Wishes. I showed the girls the book and they were just beyond excited to see themselves "in a magazine." This is why I submit things to be published... to see the look of pure delight on their faces when the see themselves in something. To hear their excited chatter as I tell them there's not just one page, but four that has their photos. If you could see them light up like I do, you'd understand. This is what life is all about. This is why I continue to get bashed for no reason at all... this is why I do what I do. And I'm going to continue to do it... "big cow" and all!


8 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Oh Sandi....I really don't know what prompted that, but it was very heartfelt. I'm glad the girls enjoyed seeing their layouts in the magazine (Congrats again!) and I hope you enjoyed it too. Scrap your litle heart out like no one is watchin whenever you feel like it!!

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow that really sucks! I hate that stupid blog!!! I NEVER go to look at it. ONe time my friend had a layout that they posted on there and talked so much bs about her personally and talent wise. It was just terrible. Anyway like u said bad days come and go and dont let those fools get u down! I love ur work and you are one awesome lady!

Blogger Heather Bares said...

those are some awesome layouts!

Blogger ricanlaw said...

I think this is an awesome post. I'm sorry that you are being attacked on that venomous blog. Your work is very nice. I hope you do not throw in the towel and continue to participate in this hobby you love. Keep your head up.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a good read and so heartfelt. I didn't know there were so many mean scrapbookers until recently. (makes me want to go back under the rock...lol) I've always loved seeing your work. I just wrote on my blog about Why I scrapbook....kind of a different perspective. check it out when you can.

Blogger Amy W. said...

Sandi, i KNOW you and you MUST remember the "no name" people (com'on you can't say they are scrappers, scrappers wouldn't treat fellow scrappers that way...EVER!) who talk about others ultimately have issues of their own. it's so sad that they can't focus on their own troubles instead of 'acting out'. it's sad.

anyway, Happy Holidays to ya, girl! we sooo need to get together soon. {hugs}

amy

Blogger Robyn Weatherspoon said...

Hey Girl! I came here to wish you a Merry Christmas and I find this! Girl listen, you know that blog is only for the "Haters" and they talk about everyone who has talent, so I see it like this; if you made that blog, then you must be one terribly talented chick! I love you and big hugs to you my friend! And huge congratulations on the 601 Book!!!

Blogger Cami said...

apparently their mothers never taught them respect and common courtesy for others and the fine art of ....if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
sorry to hear your being treated so badly...that sucks.
Congrats on the 5 wonderful layouts being published!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer